Story Analysis: April by Lois Duncan

Growing up in a bigger family with my sisters hasn't always been the best. It can be bearable once you learn how to handle things from the get-go. From sudden outbursts to feelings of love and hate --- anything can happen. Which is why you have to learn how to take care of yourself earlier on. 

Photo by Anna Kollor from Pexels

𝐀𝐩𝐫𝐒π₯ is a short story written by Lois Duncan from which I learned a lot of things. I've learned how to share what I can, celebrate my sisters' successes, and how be honest even when times are tough. 

It is a story about two sisters who seemed to be polar opposites. π™ˆπ™–π™§π™©π™π™– 𝘿π™ͺπ™£π™£π™žπ™£π™œ, being the smart one, and 𝘼π™₯π™§π™žπ™‘ being the beautiful one in looks and in spirit. To summarize, Martha Dunning felt cheated for having such an 'ugly' name and plain features. Dark hair and thick glasses, smart and considerate. A top student in her class and someone whose future seems guaranteed for success.

All her life, she's been jealous of April for being the pretty one who got a prettier room and gets asked on dates a lot. When she smiles, she can light up the place even in a room full of strangers. Light colored hair and a look of innocence, it's no wonder their parents sought out and found a husband for her.

We can finally understand why Martha Dunning was mad at how her sister seemed to have it easy altogether. Yet, instead of focusing on her own strengths, Martha seems to focus on April's adding more fuel to the fire. Everything April had, she wanted it too.

In the end, her mother made her realize that not all children's needs are the same. You can be the prettiest in the room but would still need help in certain areas. Or you can be the smartest sibling so they take you for granted and expected you to understand how they do things. All in all, their parents were not exactly innocent of any charges. So was Martha Dunning.

Photo by Lisa Fotios from Pexels

But the story ended on a positive note. April gave birth and she asked her sister if she can name their daughter Martha Dunning. To April, it is the most beautiful name she's ever heard.

But I never really understood the importance of sharing then. I thought of it as a way for the lazier ones to thrive off of other people's hard work. I never considered the hard times they were going through. How easy it must have been for me to get certain things just because I often use my mind to make better choices. Now that I'm older, I finally can share what I learned when I read this story. In a way, it has helped me understand the reason why my sisters and I weren't treated the same way as we were growing older.

It's the same way as when adults choose certain paths in life. Only that, in this case, we have our parents to help us through it while they are still here.

Comments

Memo Articles

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *