Short Story: The Quail That Got Away

Once there was a Quail that got away from the Lord's orders. He was the most mischievous one from the group of a thousand birds crossing the Mediterranean Sea. Like the prodigal son, he was, he never listens to his mother and always manages to wander away from the group.

"My dearest creatures take heed and go forth to the place where I am sending you to serve my people," said the Lord.

Then, a strong gust of wind began to blow from the heavens. The small, silent whispers telling them to head east to serve their Creator. His fellow quails followed their calling except for the Little Quail. He was too preoccupied with his flying. Rather than follow the Lord's orders, the Little Quail went exploring instead.

The journey lasted for days. One by one, the whole flock disappeared in droves until the little Quail was alone under the vast, blue sky. All of them were being eaten by the people camped all over the wilderness.

"What a cruel life I must live!" The Little Quail cried and cried.

"Little One, why are you alone right now?" a gentle voice said from above.

"I do not want to die. I wanted to live!" He replied.

"I will let you live until you decide to sacrifice yourself for one of my children," said the Lord. To him, it was more of an order than a promise. But the Little Quail was glad, even so. He then flew far and wide until he arrived at a little farm in the middle of a barren desert where the family lived. The husband and wife had a little boy, and he was their only pride and joy.


Every day, the Little Quail would find his way on the house's window pane where the wife set out crumbs of bread for him to eat . The little Quail became grateful for her kindness. He became a frequent visitor to the family of three, bringing joy to their little boy.

One day, a plague arrived, and food became scarce. The Farmer's wife could no longer give him crumbs, and the land bore no vegetation. The Farmer's little boy became sick and pale with hunger. The famine lasted for a long, long time. Even the Little Quail's feathers started to wither one by one.

"I must leave this place. This is no longer a place for me," says the Little Quail.

Before he left, the Little Quail decided to visit the human family once again. He perched above the window sill and watched the sickly little boy. His head was resting on his mother's lap, groaning in pain. He was hungry.

"Mama, I'm hungry," The little boy weeps.

"I'm sorry, Tommy, but the hills beyond the farm are barren — we do not have meat anymore." The tearful mother explained.

"How about that little bird by the window?" the little boy pointed towards the Little Quail.

"But that is our little friend, don't you remember?" the mother reminded her son.

Upon hearing the boy's request, the Little Quail flew away from the house in a hurry to his home. He was getting ready for a few days worth of flying when a flash of light illuminated the dark hole where he was living.

"Little Quail, you are old now," a familiar voice said.

"My wings can no longer support me for my traveling. I have seen enough wars and poverty. Nothing breaks my heart even more than a family about to lose their only child because of hunger," he cried.

"What is it you want?" the voice asked.

"I want to be of service to a child of God. I apologize for flying away from my fate," said the Quail.

"Never apologize, my little creature, for this is the plan I had in store for you. Go and make peace with your brethren so you may save my Child in peace," said the Creator upon hearing his apology.

The Little Quail felt strange and he flapped his wings with so much strength like he never had before. He jumped out of his hiding place and hovered over the tall grass. He visited every tree and alleyway that sheltered him in the past. He bid his final goodbyes to the friendly predators that hunted him down every morning.


Next, he flew over the trees and went higher and higher as his wings could take him. He began to feel the air leaving his lungs. As he was closing his eyes, he saw his family waiting for him between the gates of Heaven and Earth. A song of merriment in accompaniment with cheers of finally coming home.

Later that night, the small family had enough food to eat. The Farmer's wife offers a quiet prayer to the heavens for sending them a savior in the form of the flighty little Quail.

The little Quail is finally home.

Comments

Memo Articles

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *