Let's Talk About Dieting


There are a lot of misconceptions about the word "diet". For most people, it is usually an end-all, be-all solution to losing weight and looking good. Very few people factor in the health benefits and the immense degree of comfort it can bring.

I haven't done any long-term dieting. Not by choice but I did undergo a grueling four months of a plant-based diet to make my drug-therapy work. For privacy reasons, I won't be sharing about what was wrong with me in a biological sense. But I plan to share what happened to me within those four months and what I plan to do right after.

Before

Back then, I used to experience a lot of bullying. My weight gain and lack of a healthy lifestyle manifested in my looks and mental state.

I always felt sad. I never had enough energy for a teenager, and I always chose to stay within the shadows, unseen. Like most people, I thought a lot about how dieting could solve my problem for good. But there were many reasons why I could never make it happen.

For one, I'm not in control of what I eat. I live in a lower-income household with very few food options. I get tons of exercise from hard labor. But if I want to lose weight, I would either starve myself or eat as little as possible. Both of which I never liked. I tried diet strategies like using smaller plates, not cooking for myself, and avoiding visitations. Filipino households tend to offer a lot of snacks and food whenever somebody pays a visit.

I did my hardest to lose weight but I developed an unhealthy anxiety about food. It took some time to understand how dieting works because, unlike me, this one friend was trying his hardest to do the opposite. He was working on gaining weight. Just like me, he was also pressured by the people around him to gain weight quickly. That was when I realized that weight loss is never the only reason people want to change their diet.

During

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio
It took me years and hundreds of kilometers away from home to finally decide on working on myself.
There were ups and downs, of course, but this time, I had the power to control what I ate. I have my own money, my own time, and a sense of accountability to work on. Even so, I would be lying if I said "I did it when I was ready". No. I had a health scare that affected a bit of my mobility and I was in pain. I had to go to a doctor to get checked out and undergo some testing before I undergo drug therapy.

This is where my four grueling months started. I was so proud of what I become. I lost a healthy amount of weight, and my other medical issues were alleviated. Even then, taking a considerable amount of drugs in my system caused side effects. It only lasted for a year but I'm okay now. I am more confident and healthier from what I see.

After

Photo by Thought Catalog

Now, I am maintaining my weight after college. Most times, there were a couple of slip-ups but it's nothing I couldn't handle. I began to mind what I eat and the amount of water I take in to stay hydrated and full. Even so, starting my life as a functioning member of society can be difficult. I had to mind what I ate, do my chores, work on my job (which I love), and maintain lifelong relationships. At times, I wanted to look a certain way. All I need is to learn how to put on a simple outfit and accessorize. I gave up on yoga for a bit but now I plan to do it again. It will not be as easy as it did in 2022. I changed a lot. My body needed different things for it to stay healthy.

I am looking for better ways how to work a dry pantry and have healthier meal options. Being in Asia, most recipes here are either on the hearty side, savory, oily, or fatty foods. Don't even get me started on fast food. I love them but I only eat them on the weekends if I feel like celebrating something important. Now, I'm afraid my fast-food journey will have to be put on the back burner for a while. I want to look my best in my 20s. I want to do many strenuous things, take better photos, and have a full and wonderful life. 

So far, most of my previous milestones have happened already. I think it is time for me to dream of bigger and better things.

Comments

Memo Articles

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *